Internal sustainability committee
In 2011, Ansaldo STS set up the internal sustainability committee (also referred to as the "Committee"), made up of the managers of the main company functions. The Committee's mission is to define the company’s strategic guidelines for sustainable development and the promotion of social responsibility initiatives and see that they are implemented. The internal sustainability committee reports directly to the Chairman and CEO of Ansaldo STS and collaborates and coordinates with the company's organisational units.
The Committee is responsible for:
- the assessment of social and environmental risks that concern the company’s operations and evaluating the related performance;
- the definition and monitoring of the sustainability programme, made up of financial, social and environmental objectives;
- the implementation of the relevant codes and rules of social and environmental conduct defined by the company (code of ethics and EHS procedures and policies) or relating to international standards (Global Reporting Initiative, the Global Compact, the Carbon Disclosure Project, etc.);
- the definition and coordination of listening to, discussing with and involving stakeholders: sharing results and the measures to be taken; • the definition and implementation of an internal and external sustainability communications plan.
In 2014, the internal sustainability committee was specifically engaged in the following activities:
- plan and perform the new materiality analysis, reperforming the internal survey, to redefine the strategic level of the aspects that characterise Ansaldo STS' sustainable development, and an external investigation, involving new stakeholders to understand how they prioritise these aspects;
- extend the opportunities and risks analyses tied to sustainability management, through their description and identification of their importance (low, medium, high);
- map the stakeholders, giving them a "weight" to reflect how each category influences the company's performance or how they are influenced by the company;
- trace the map of interaction with the stakeholders, describing the main methods used by Ansaldo STS to engage with them (information sessions, consultation/ dialogue and partnerships) to define a stakeholder engagement plan;
- define and discuss the 2014 reporting project with the following objectives:
- continue the ongoing adoption of the Global Reporting Initiative G4 guidelines;
- confirm the Global Compact and participation in the Carbon Disclosure Project;
- improve internal and external sustainability communications;
- participate in the Global Compact Network Italy projects.
The board of directors’ involvement
The board of directors is involved in approving the Sustainability Report while the CEO prepares and approves the sustainability programme, i.e., the action plan to be implemented during the year, the targets, reporting and communications.
Starting from 2015, the board of directors will also be involved in the programme’s development and approval phase.